TOP STORY: Teens to face High Court after armed confrontation
James Stevens
Published Apr 03, 2026
"I thought I was going to get shot. I was waiting for a bullet to go through me. I was waiting for the shot but it didn't come."
These are the chilling words of Constable Riki Valentine, who found himself staring down the barrel of a .303 rifle held by a 14-year-old boy following a police chase in June.
The teen and another boy had earlier absconded from a CYF-funded camp, 20km from Whakatane, and had led police on a high-speed chase through Te Puke and Mount Maunganui before the armed confrontation. The pair are jointly charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault.
Written statements of evidence about what happened that day were presented at a depositions hearing in Tauranga Youth Court last Friday and the Bay of Plenty Times was given permission to read them yesterday.
The drama unfolded after the boys were found missing from a CYF -funded Wairaka Kokiri Trust camp about four hours' walk from Ruatoki on June 23.
Firearms, tramping packs, a saddle, food, camping equipment and a horse were allegedly stolen from one of the trust's caregivers and a Ford Falcon was taken from Ruatoki Valley Rd.
The stolen car was spotted in Te Puke in the early hours of June 24 but took off at speed when police arrived. A chase ensued that reached speeds of up to 160kmh and road spikes blew one tyre out but did not slow the vehicle down.
Mr Valentine said just before Maranui St he heard a loud "pop" and the rear windscreen of the Ford exploded outward. "I could see this person pointing what appeared to be a rifle through the back window at us."
Mr Valentine said he radioed "shots fired, shots fired" and began swerving his car to make it more difficult to be a target. After a lengthy pursuit the car was stopped in Oceanbeach Rd.
But when he tried to get the driver to open his locked door, Mr Valentine saw a firearm pointed at him from the back seat and ran for cover behind a nearby wall. From there he watched the youngster alternatively aiming the rifle at him and another officer, he said.
After a tense stand-off the driver got out of the vehicle with his hands up but his armed associate came out with the rifle aimed at officers, Mr Valentine said. "He was very close. I thought he was going to shoot me as the firearm was pointed directly at me."
The teenagers then ran towards his patrol car which had the keys in and sirens going. Thinking the armed youngster planned to shoot a colleague crouching behind the front wheel, Mr Valentine charged.
He reached the youth at the same time as the police dog Neo, who latched on to the youth. But the youngster, who was still armed, wouldn't give up without a huge struggle.
"I was waiting for the bullet to go through me. If he had pulled the trigger, because of his aim it would have hit me in the left hand side if my lower stomach or hip area."
The other youth was arrested with the help of the police dog.
Police dog handler Constable James Muir gave evidence that as he approached the stolen vehicle in Oceanbeach Rd he saw a young male in the back seat with a long barrelled weapon pointed at him. "I could clearly see him working the bolt still pointing the gun at me. I heard a click. I knew he pulled the trigger but the firearm failed to fire."
A 10-year veteran of the police force, Mr Muir said he was very familiar with firearms and was "100 per cent sure" the teen pulled the trigger to make the rifle click.
Three other firearms including a loaded slug gun, two spent cartridges and numerous rounds of .22 calibre ammunition were allegedly found in the car.
A police officer who examined the Lee Enfield .303 gave evidence that there was a bullet in the chamber part way down the barrel. "All that was required was to push the bolt forward and lock it down and it would have been ready to fire."
The youngsters, who both deny the charges, have been committed to the High Court at Rotorua for trial by Judge Thomas Ingram who said the matter was too serious for the Youth Court.
The boys, also jointly charged with other serious offences, will have those dealt with in the Youth Court after their High Court appearance on October 11.