G
Gossip Burst Report

Australian ships in China standoff

Author

Ethan Hayes

Published Apr 03, 2026

Australia refuses to apologise for the incident and continues to score points with the US, reports GREG ANSLEY.

CANBERRA - Chinese warships have challenged a Royal Australian Navy flotilla in the Taiwan Strait.

It is a further indication of souring relations over Canberra's support of US President George Bush's toughening stance against Beijing.

The incident came during the closing stages of the US spy plane crisis as the commander of the Australian ships refused orders to head for open seas and forced his right under international law to use recognised sea lanes.

The April 17 confrontation remained secret until the Chinese Government complained about the incident to the Australian Embassy in Beijing.

Canberra, however, issued orders that there should be no apology.

The guided missile frigate HMAS Newcastle, the Anzac class frigate Arunta and the supply ship HMAS Success were intercepted by Chinese warships as they steamed through the Taiwan Strait, within China's territorial waters but in accord with the Law of the Sea.

China, which has previously challenged other naval vessels, does not recognise the rights of passage and also protested through its embassy in Canberra.

Prime Minister John Howard yesterday played down the standoff and rejected suggestions that it could damage relations with China.

Mr Howard said the Australian ships were engaged in a legal, innocent passage through territorial waters, although there was a long-standing difference of opinion between China and other countries of what international law allowed.

"I think its important not to overreact to these incidents," he said.

But the confrontation came amid rising tensions between the two countries and concern within Australia that Canberra is tying itself too closely to American policy.

Last week, Canberra and Beijing exchanged sharp messages over renewed US pledges to defend Taiwan and Washington's decision to negotiate its biggest arms deal in a decade with Taipei, offering up to eight submarines, four destroyers and 12 P3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft.

Shadow Foreign Affairs Minister Laurie Brereton called Mr Howard's implied support for the US moves an unfortunate confirmation of the Government's acceptance of a role as America's deputy in the region.

China has already criticised Australia as a cat's paw for approving of the planned national missile defence system - which would directly involve the spy base at Pine Gap, near Alice Springs - and for its support of the US in any crisis with Beijing.

Australian Defence Minister Peter Reith will discuss tensions in the Taiwan Strait during talks with senior Bush Administration officials in Washington this week, ahead of further strengthening of military ties.

Last week, the new US Global Hawk unmanned spy plane landed in Australia after a dramatic trial flight across the Pacific, and will next month join a major exercise in north Queensland involving 27,000 Australian and American troops.

The exercise, Tandem Thrust, will also involve the powerful USS Kittyhawk carrier battle group, the USS Essex amphibious force, marines, and Australian strike Jets, warships and submarines.

The exercise is designed to develop the ability of the two forces to work in combined operations.

Canberra has also been using its defence alliance to gain economic momentum with the US, rewarded this week with a letter from President Bush expressing his support for a proposed free trade agreement with Australia.